Born: August 31, 1928, Madona, Latvia
Died: June 26, 2014, Riga, Latvia
Interests in inventing:
- Dehydration of biological and thermosensitive objects.
- Microbial biosynthesis and biotechnology.
In food industry:
- Pneumatic drier and technology of whisky.
- Polyfunctional food production
- Technology of lysine concentrate, vitamin B 12 concentrate and polymer – levan of fructose.
In 1970 a factory of forage lysine began its work in Livani, Latvia. Its capacity in 1990 was 3000 tons a year counting from the lysine monochloride. According to this technology four factories were built on the former territory of USSR with a common capacity of about 30 000 tons a year employing around 10 000 workers. The licences have been sold to the enterprises in Hungary, Yugoslavia and Finland. Since 1990 several corporation contracts on biosynthesis of lysine have been concluded with research institutions from Denmark, Netherlands and South Africa.
Polyfunctional food product - Auzu bio lakto (Oat-bio Lacto) has been introduced in Riga Dayry factory in 1999.
Functional food – a new direction of food industry in Latvia
Institute of Microbiology and Biotechnology, University of Latvia in cooperation with Faculty of Food Technology, Latvia University of Agriculture is now developing a new direction in food technology – functional food production from natural high quality raw materials using enzymatic and microbiological methods.
“Functional food” are products that, providing the normal attributes expected of food, also confer specific health benefits. This group includes probiotics, prebiotics, soluble fibre β-glucan, and polyunsaturated fatty acids.
Probiotics are active lactic acid bacteria – absolutely safe for human health, competing with pathogenic intestinal bacteria, reducing harmful compounds – including cholesterol, synthesising lactic acid, vitamins and other components beneficial to health.
Prebiotics are calorie-free oligosaccharides selectively stimulating development of the probiotic bacteria in gastric-intestinal tract. Prebiotics can be obtained by enzymatic hydrolysis of polysaccharides.
Soluble fibre β-glucan is the grain cell wall component and it is established that β-glucan lowers serum cholesterol level.
Using rolled oats and fat-free milk, as raw materials, healthy and tasty cholesterol and animal fat-free new polyfunctional food product “Oat-Bio Lacto” is produced in Latvia by the JSC “Rīgas Piena Kombināts”.
Selection of patent documents:
Totally: 32 authors' certificates of USSR, 32 patents of other countries, and 7 Latvian patents.
- M. Bekers, U. Viesturs, A. Lacars, I. Kalvane, A. Sedvalds, M. Ruklisa, V. Bekere, G. Liepins, A. Valdmanis, Z. Viesture, V. Bukins, L. Kuceva, N. Bazdireva, A. Luzkovs, L. Areskina. Brevibacterium 22 LD strain – the producer of lysine. USSR authors' certificate Nr. 502019, 1973.
- Patent of Czechoslovakia Nr. 167192, 1975.
- Patent of Germany Nr.2247274
- Patent of Bulgaria Nr.22921
- Patent of Austria Nr.340858
- Patent of France Nr.7431272
- Patent of Belgium Nr.820901
- Patent of England Nr.1456923
- Patent of Ireland Nr.39920
- Patent of Mexico Nr.161
About the inventions
More about the inventor (in Latvian)
More about the inventor (in English)