Interests in inventing:
- Mass transfer in gas-liquid-solid systems
- Process control, mixing in bioreactors, bioreactor design, designing and start-up of their basic equipment
- Classical biotechnology
- Processes of anaerobic waste digestion, biogas production
- Food biotechnology
- Constructions of bioreactors, system of backwash agitation in bioreactors for shear sensitive cultures
- Device for the indication of agitation
- Device for the control of bioprocesses BIO-2
- Technology of lysine
Selection of patent documents:
Totally: 125 inventions (not all of them are being maintained at the moment)
Device for the cultivation of microorganisms.
Co-authors: M.Kristapsons, E.Kleinbergs, L.Licis a.o.
Authors’ certificate of USSR Nr.352562
- Patent of Germany Nr.96504
- Patent of Czechoslovakia Nr.155449
Brevibacterium 22 LD strain.
Co-authors: M.Bekers, M.Ruklisa, A.Sedvalds a.o.
- Authors’ certificate of USSR Nr.502019
- Patent of Germany Nr.2247274
- Patent of Bulgaria Nr.22921
- Patent of Czechoslovakia Nr.167192
- Patent of Austria Nr.340858
- Patent of France Nr.7431272
- Patent of Belgium Nr.820901
- Patent of England Nr.1456923
- Patent of Ireland Nr.39920
- Patent of Mexico Nr.161
Manager: M.Bekers. Co-authors: U.Viesturs, G.Mezina a.o.
- Authors’ certificate of USSR Nr.258845
- Patent of Germany Nr.93704
- Patent of Bulgaria Nr.18710
- Patent of Rumania Nr.166722
- Authors’ certificate of USSR Nr.344734
- Patent of Germany Nr.2139274
- Patent of Austria Nr.314959
- Patent of Czechoslovakia Nr.158971
- Patent of Bulgaria Nr.18495
- Authors’ certificate of USSR Nr.494040
- Patent of Bulgaria Nr.22582
- Patent of Germany Nr.2401519
- Patent of Czechoslovakia Nr.170437
- Patent of Austria Nr.341319
- Patent of England Nr.1439121
- Patent of Ireland Nr.38977
- Patent of Italy Nr.1018334
Patents of Latvia:
- J.Steganceva, L.Vitina, U.Viesturs. Method for submerge cultivation of Basidial fungi.
Pat. LV 11628,C12N1/14, notified 22.02. 95
- J.Vanags, U.Viesturs, E.Treiguts. Device for the determination of kinetic energy of stream fluctuations in polyphase medium SIMD.
Pat. LV 10488 A, C12M1/36, notified 27.09.93
- A.Apsite, S.Strikauska, J.Svinka, J.Vanags, U.Viesturs a.o. Method for obtaining trichodermine.
Pat. LV 5360, A 01 N 63/04, notified 29.06.93
- M.Bekers, M.Marauska, J.Laukevics, M.Grube, D.Karklina, U.Viesturs, A.Vigants. Process for producing polyfunctional food-products from cereals. Pat. LV 12304, A23L1/105, notified 17.03.99.
M.Bekers, U.Viesturs, A.Danilevics, D.Upite, E.Kaminska, M.Marauska, M.Grube, R.Linde Method of production and use of fructans and fructose containing products from inulin caontaining raw materials. Pat.LV13539, A23L1/105, 20/07.2007
About the inventions
The essence of the inventions:
- The laboratory bioreactor FAS - 5.3 is being used in biotechnology, environment protection. Its advantages are - low price, electromagnetic drive, special agitation system for shear sensitive cultures, flexible process control
- Measurement device for the agitation intensity SIMD-f3 and SIMD-s1 is being used in agitation phenomena research in bio and chemical reactors, for the optimisation of their constructions. Its advantages are that the measurements can be done in polyphase medium in coloured solutions, i.e. in a real technological process, and it is cheaper than LDA.
- The control device of bioprocesses BIO-2 can be used in classical biotechnology and environment protection. Its advantages are low piece and flexible programme.
- Demonstration scale fermentators have been sold.
- SIMD-f1, f2 have been sold to the Technical University of Munich, University of Birmingham a.o.
- Licence contracts with Hungary, former Yugoslavia, Finland.
- Contracts with food industry enterprises in Latvia
- Research in the regularities of microorganism growth and metabolite biosynthesis
- Chemical engineering and bioengineering
- Conversion of the photosynthesized biomass for renewable energy (bioethanol, pyrolysis products, etc.), bio-bleaching of cellulose
- Bioreactor design, process control, mixing in bioreactors, mass transfer in gas-liquid-solid systems, designing and start-up of basic equipment for classical biotechnology
- Anaerobic waste digestion with biogas production, environmental biotechnology
- Food biotechnology
- Innovations: general problems, state of the art in Latvia, facilitation of TT
Languages: Latvian, Russian, and English
- Latvia University of Agriculture (Faculty of Food Technology), 1960
- Dr.sc.ing. (Candidate of Science in former USSR, Ph.D. in Western countries ), Institute of Food Technology, Kiev, Ukraine,1968
- Dr.habil.sc.ing. (Doctor of Science in former USSR), Institute of Food Technology, Kiev, Ukraine, 1975
- Engineer and Head of Laboratory of Milgravis Ethanol and fodder yeast factory, Ministry of Food Industry of Latvia, 1960-1964
- Head of Design Office, Institute of Microbiology, Latvian Academy of Sciences, 1964- 1969
- Head, Laboratory of Bioengineerig, Institute of Microbiology, 1969-1986
- Director, Institute of Wood Chemistry,Latvian Academy of Sciences (Latvian State Institute of Wood Chemistry), 1986-1993
- Head , Laboratory of Bioengineering, Institute of Wood Chemistry, 1984- 2010
- Chairman of Scientific Council, Institute of Wood Chemistry, 1986-1997; Vice-chairman, 1997- 2001
- Vice-president, Latvian Academy of Sciences, 1989-1992
- Director, Institute of Microbiology and Biotechnology , University of Latvia (LU MBI), 1997-
- Professor, Faculty of Food Technology, Latvia University of Agriculture, 1994- 2010
- Professor, Faculty of Biology, University of Latvia, 1996-2005, Assistant Professor, 2005 - 2010
- Vice-president, Member of the Presidium, Academy of Agricultural and Forestry Sciences of Latvia, 2002 - 2010
- Corresponding Member, Latvian Academy of Sciences, 1982
- Full Member, Latvian Academy of Sciences, 1987
- Full Member, Academy of Agricultural and Forestry Sciences of Latvia, 1994
- Member, Academia Scientiarum et Artium Europaea, 1992
- Full Member, Ukrainian Technological Academy, 1999
- Member, European Academy of Sciences, (Section of Biological Sciences with the citation " for an outstanding and lasting contribution to biological sciences, biotechnology and education"), 2002
- Honorary Member of the International Biographical Centre Resarch Council, Cambridge, England, 2003
- Professor (Biotechnology), USSR Supreme Certification Committee, 1984
- The Latvian SSR State Prize, 1965,1980
- Merited Inventor of Latvian SSR, 1975
- The Prize of the Latvian Academy of Sciences and joint-stock company "Aldaris" , 1999
- Honorary Diploma for significant research and pedagogical work, University of Latvia, 2004
- Acknowledgement of the Latvian Employers Confederation for the co-operation with enterpreneurs "For Innovations in Entrepreneurship", 2005
Work in poffessional community:
- Editor-in-Chief for the journal Wood Chemistry, 1987-1995
- Member of Editorial Board for Proceedings of the Latvian Academy of Sciences, 1985- 2001
- Member, International Advisory Boards and International Scientific Committies of several International Conferences (Prague 1993,1996,1998, 2000, 2002; Sofia 1993, 1995, 1997, 1999, 2001, 2005; Cambridge 1994, Paris 1997; Shimkent- Kazakhstan, 2001, Bamberg /Germany/, 2003, Badajoz/Spain/, 2004.
- Member of the International Scientific Advisory Commitee, International Conference on Environmental, Industrial and Applied Microbiology "BioMicroWorld2005"
- Member (Chairman, 1993 -2002), Latvian Council of Science Expert Committee ( Molecular Biology, Microbiology, Virology, Biotechnology), 1993-
- Treasurer, Member of Senate, Latvian Academy of Sciences, 1993-2001
- Deputy Chairman of the Board , Latvian Academy of Sciences, 1993- 2010
- Vice-Chair, Division of Chemical, Biological, and Medical Sciences, Latvian Academy of Sciences, 1998 - 2010
- Member of the Presidium (1996 - ) and Head of the Food Department (1976-2001), Academy of Agricultural and Forestry Sciences of Latvia
- Advisor, FEMIRC-LATVIA, 1997-1999, IRC-LATVIA, 1999-
- Member of Promotion Council, Faculty of Biology, University of Latvia (LU), 1997 -
- Chairman of Promotion Council, Faculty of Food Technology, Latvia University of Agriculture, 1998 -
- Chairman of the State Examination Commission, Faculty of Food Technology, Latvia University of Agriculture, 2001 -
- Senator, Member of the Strategy Commission of the Senate, LU, 1997 - 2003
- Member of the Council, Faculty of Biology, LU, 1998 - 2005
- Member of the Council, Institute of Microbiology and Biotechnology, LU, 1997 -
- Member of the Scientific Council, Institute of Wood Chemistry, 1986 -
- Member of the Latvian Quality Council at the Marketing Association, 1999 - 2002
- Member of the European Federation of Biotechnology, WP Bioreactor Performance, 1984-
- Member of the European Federation of Chemical Engineering, WP Mixing, 1988-
- Member of the Research Board of Advisers, American Biographical Institute
- FP5 Expert N EE 19981A13914
- Member, Working Group for Development of the National Innovation Programme Project (resolution N 240, 02.07.2001 Presidium of the Cabinet of Ministers of the Republic of Latvia)
- Viesturs U.E., Kuznetsov A.M., Savenkov V.V. Fermentation Systems, 1986, Riga: Zinatne Press, 368 pp. (in Russian).
- V.Dubrovskis, U.Viesturs. Anaerobic Digestion of Agricultural Wastes, 1988, Riga: Zinatne Press, 204 pp. (in Russian).
- U.Viesturs, I.Smite, A.Zilevica. Biotehnologie:Agenti Biotehnologici, Tehnolgii Aparatura, 1991, Bucuresti: Editura Ceres, 288 pp.(in Romanian).
- U.E.Viesturs, A.M.Kuzniecow, W.W.Sawienkow. Biorektory: Zasady obliczen i doboru, 1990, Warszawa: Wydawnictwa Naukowo-Techniczne, 350 pp. (in Polish).
- Ruklisha M., Shvinka J., Viesturs U. Biotechnology of Bacterial Synthesis. 1992, Riga: Zinatne Press, 367 pp. (in Russian).
- J.K.Staniskis, D.Levisauskas, R.Stimutis, U.E.Viesturs, M.Kristapsons. Automation of biotechnological processes: Measurements, Optimisation and Control. U.Viesturs (Ed.), 1992, Riga: Zinatne Press, 350 pp. (in Russian).
- A.Zilevica, D.Rinkuza, U.Viesturs. Microorganisms and Viruses: Morphological, Physiological and Antigenic Properties, 1992, Riga: Zinatne Press, 272 pp. (in Russian).
- Uldis E.Viesturs, Stoyan M.Tzonkov (Eds.). Bioprocess Engineering, 2006, Sofia: Avangard Prima, 253 pp.
* * *
- M.A.Priede, J.J.Vanags, U.E.Viesturs, K.G.Tucker, W.Bujalski, C.R.Thomas. Hydrodynamic, physiological and morphological characteristics of Fusarium moniliforse in geometrically dissimilar stirred bioreactors. - Biotechnology and Bioengineering, 1995, vol. 48, N3, pp. 266-277.
- M.Ruklisha, U.Viesturs, L.Labane. Growth control and ppGpp synthesis in Brevibacterium flavum cells at various medium mixing rates and aeration intensities. - Acta Biotechnologica, 1995, vol.15, N 1, pp. 41-48.
- M.Leite,T.Eremeeva, A.Treimanis, V.Egle, T.Bykova, L.Purina, U.Viesturs. The Effect of Xylanase Type Enzymes on the Different Layers of Birch Wood ORGANOSOLV Pulp Fibre Walls. - Acta Biotechnologica, 1995, vol.15, N , pp. 199-210.
- J.J.Vanags, M.A.Priede, U.E.Viesturs. Studies of the mixing character and flow distribution in mycelial fermantation broth. - Acta Biotechnologica, 1995, vol. 15, N 4, pp.355-366.
- M.Ruklisha, U.Viesturs. Some biochemical responses of Brevibacterium flavum upon substrate concentration and medium mixing intensity. - Chem. Biochem. Eng. Q, 1996, vol. 10, N 1, pp.1-7.
- U.Viesturs, M.Leite, A.Treimanis, T.Eremeeva, A.Apsite, M.Eismonte, P.Jansons. Production of cellulases and xylanases in Trichoderma viridae and bioogical processing of lignocellulose and recycled paper fibers. - 17th Symposium on Biotechnology for Fuels and Chemicals. . -Spring 1996, USA. - Applied Biochemistry and Biology, 1996, vol. 57/58, pp. 349-360.
- G.Dobele, N.Bogdanovich, G.Telisheva, U.Viesturs. Application of sorbent obtained by pyrolysis of sewage sludge for biological treatment of waste water. - 17th Symposium on Biotechnology for Fuels and Chemicals. -Spring 1996, USA. - Applied Biochemistry and Biology, 1996, vol. 57/58, pp. 857-867.
- U.Viesturs, M.Leite. Physiological and technico-engineering aspects of lignocellulose solid-state fermentation with filamentous fungi. - In: Advances in Bioprocess Engineering (eds: E.Galindo and O.T.Ramirez), 1996, Kluwer Academic Publishers, pp. 81-86.
- U.Viesturs, M.Leite. Stirring in bioreactors and development of some new biotechnologies. - Proc. Intern. Symposium and "Young Scientists" School on Bioprocess Systems'98 (30 September-2 October, 1998, Sofia, Bulgaria), pp. I.1 - I. 29.
- A.Apsite, U.Viesturs, V.Steinberga, V.Toma. Morphology and antifungal action of the genus Trichoderma cultivated in geometrically dissimilar bioreactors. - World J. Microbiol.&Biotechnol., 1998, vol. 14, pp. 23-29.
- U.Viesturs, M.Leite, M.Eismonte, T.Eremeeva, A.Treimanis. Biological deinking technology for the recycling of office waste papers. - Bioresource Technology, 1999, vol. 76, pp. 255-265.
- J.Vanags, U.Viesturs, I.Fort. Mixing intensity studies in a pilot plant stirred bioreactor with an electromagnetic drive. - Biochem. Eng. J. , 1999, vol.3, pp. 25-33.
- S.Strikauska, D.Zarina, A.Berzins, U.Viesturs. Degradation of ammonia by two stage biofiltration system. - Environmental Engineering and Policy, 1999, vol. 1, N 3, pp. 175-179.
- U.Viesturs, G.Telisheva, T.Dizhbite. Chemical processing of photosynthesized biomass for industry and energy. - Bulgarian Chem. Commun., 1999, vol. 31, N 3/4, pp. 596-614.
- G.Telysheva, G.Lebedeva, T.Dizhbite, N.Zaimenko, J.Ammosova, U.Viesturs.Use of silicon- containing lignin products for in situ soil bioremidiation. - In: Bioremediation of Contaminated Soils. Marcel Dekker.inc., New York, Basel, USA , 2000, pp. 699-724
- T.Eremeeva, T. Bikova, M.Eismonte, U.Viesturs, A.Treimanis. Fractionation and molecular characteristics of cellulose during enzymatic hydrolysis. - Cellulose (Kluwer Academic Publishers), 2001, vol. 8, N 1, pp. 69-79.
- A.Berzins, M.Rikmanis, M.Toma, U.Viesturs, S.Gonta. Cultivation of Zymomonas mobilis 113S at different regimes. - Acta Biotechnologica, 2001, vol.21, N 1, pp. 19-26.
- A.Berzins, M.Toma, M.Rikmanis, U.Viesturs. Influence of micromixing on microorganisms and products. - Acta Biotechnologica, 2001, vol. 21, N 2, pp. 155-170.
- J.Vanags, U.Viesturs. Local mixing intensity measurements for food industry and biotechnology. - Food Technology and Biotechnology, 2001, vol. 39, N 1, pp. 59-65.
- J.Vanags, U.Viesturs. Flexible process control application based on local mixing intensity measurements. - In: Novel Processes and Control Technologies in the Food Industry, F.Bozoglu et al (ed.), 2001, vol. 338, pp. 24-36.
- T.Eremeeva, M.Leite, T.Bikova, A.Treimanis, U.Viesturs. Application of size-exclusion chromatography to enzymatic bleaching of wood pulp. - In: Cellulosic Pulps, Fibres and Materials, J.F.Kennedy (ed.), Woodhead Publishing Ltd., Cambridge, England, 2001, pp. 55-60.
- M.Bekers, M.Marauska, J.Lukevics, M.Grube, A.Vigants, D.Karklina, L.Skudra, U.Viesturs. Oats and fat-free milk based functional food product. - Food Biotechnology, 2001, vol. 15, No. 1, pp. 1-12.
- R.Karklins, J.Lemba, U.Viesturs. Biotechnology for organic acids production. - G.I.T. Laboratory Journal, 2001, vol. 5, No. 6, pp. 281-283.
- M.Bekers, R.Linde, D.Upite, E.Kaminska, U.Viesturs. Sugar beet juice fermentation by Zymomonas mobilis attached to stainless steel wire spheres. - Acta Biotechnologica, 2001, vol. 21, No. 1, pp. 89-96.
- U.Viesturs. Education - Research- Innovation - Some problems of innovation issues for countries in transition. - Conf. "Baltic Dynamics 2001" (http://www.lza.lv/viesturs/innov1.htm)
- U.Viesturs, A.Silins. Innovation - the driving force of the ERDTI system's development. - Conf. "Baltic Dynamics 2001" (http://www.lza.lv/viesturs/inn-2.htm)
- M.A.Priede, J.J.Vanags, U.E.Viesturs. Performance of Aspergillus niger cultivation in geometrically dissimilar bioreactors evaluated on the basis of morphological analyses, 2002, vol. 40, N 1, pp. 57-66.
- U.Viesturs, A.Zilevica, J.Stabulnieks. Biotechnology: from research to the market. 2003. (http://www.innovation.lv/irc/Publikacijas/5/Default.htm)
- U.Viesturs, A.Zilevica. Creation of a knowlwdge-based innovative society: public - private partnerships. 2003. 9th International Conference “Public and Private Partnerships: Sustainable Success”, 28-31 May, 2003, Katowice, Poland. (http://www.innovation.lv/irc/Publikacijas/6/KatowiceInternet.pdf)
- J.Vanags, U.Viesturs. Local mixing control in a laboratory bioreactor with an electromagnetic drive. - 11th European Conference on Mixing,15-17 October 2003, Bamberg, Germany, pp. 293-298.
- M..Toma, U.Kalnenieks, A.Berzins, M.Rikmanis, U.Viesturs. The effect of mixing on glucose fermentation by Zymomonas mobilis continuous culture.- Process Biochemistry, 2003, vol. 38, pp.1347-1350.
- U.Viesturs, D.Zarina, S.Strikauska, A.Berzins. Utilisation of food woodworking production by-products by composting. - Electronic J. Bioautomation (Bulgaria), 2004, vol. 1, pp. 83-98.
- T.Dizhbite, G.Telisheva, V.Jurkjane, U.Viesturs. Characterization of the radical scavenging activity of lignins - natural antioxidants. - Bioresource Technology, 2004, vol. 95, pp. 309-317.
- U.Viesturs, A.Zilevica, J.Stabulnieks. Lettonie: de la recherche à l'application. - Biofutur, 2005, N 257, pp. 41-45.
- M.Priede, U.Viesturs. Effect of pulsing mixing inerruptions on the Aspergillus niger morphology and citric acid production. - Chemical and Biochemical Engineering, 2005, vol. 19, N 4, p. 359-366.
- M.Priede, U.Viesturs. Effect of the inoculum spore concentration and medium pH on the Aspergillus niger morphology. - Proc. LAU, 2005, vol. 13, N 308, pp. 77-84.
More about the inventor (in English)