Interests in inventing:
Optical design, methods and devices
Total: 7 foreign patents, 9 patents of the Republic of Latvia, and 6 authors’ certificates of the former USSR.
Since 1986 research activities of J.Spigulis have been focused on fibre optics, optoelectronics and biomedical optics. His recent work has been related to the design and investigation of optical fibre sensors, communication devices, medical light guide systems and new types of the side-emitting optical fibres, as well as to the development of novel optical methods and devices for non-invasive clinical diagnostics and monitoring.
- Spigulis J., Erts R., Kukulis I., Ozols M., Lihachev A. Method and device for detection of arterial occlusions in arms and legs. EP1671581 (A1). Publication date: 21.06.2006.
- Spigulis J. Side emitting/detecting optical fibre and methods of its producing. WO2009066969 (A1). Publication date: 28.05.2009.
- Spigulis J., Jakovels D., Rubins U. Method and device for multi-spectral imaging by means of a digital RGB sensor. WO2012002787 (A1). Publication date: 05.01.2012.
- Erts R., Rubins U., Upmalis V., Spigulis J., Svilans M. Device and method for an optical contactless monitoring of cardiac parameters. EP2438849 (A1). Publication date: 11.04.2012.
- Spigulis J., Jakovels D., Rubins U. Method and device for multi-spectral imaging by means of a digital RGB sensor. EP2589225 (A1). Publication date: 08.05.2013.
- Miscuks A., Erts R., Rubins U., Spigulis J., Mihelsons M. Device for the determination of peripheral regional anaesthesia using contactless photoplethysmography. WO2013045119 (A1). Publication date: 04.04.2013.
- Spigulis J., Elste L. Method and device for imaging of spectral reflectance at several wavelength bands. Patent application PCT/EP2012/063889, 2012
Patents of Latvia:
- Pfafrods D., Stafeckis M., Spigulis J., Boucher D. Side-emitting optical fibre. LV 11644 B, 1997.
- Spigulis J. Luminous fibre-optic cable and method of its manufacturing. LV 12008 B, 1998.
- Spigulis J., Erts R., Kukulis I., Ozols M., Lihachev A. Method and device for determination of arterial occlusions in arms and legs. LV 13449 B, 2006.
- Marcinkevics Z., Greve M., Erts R., Aivars J., Spigulis J. A method and device for continuous and non-invasive measurement of arterial blood pressure. LV 13582 B, 2007.
- Spigulis J. Side-emitting/detecting optical fibre and methods of its producing. LV13940, 2009.
- Marcinkevics Z., Kviesis-Kipge E., Aivars J.-I., Spigulis J. Method and apparatus for non-invasive, continuous measurement of arterial blood pressure. LV 13791, 2009.
J. Spīgulis, D. Jakovels, U. Rubīns. Method and device for multi-spectral imaging by means of a digital RGB sensor. LV 14207 B, 2010
- Miscuks, A., Erts, R., Rubins, U., Spigulis, J., Mihelsons, M. Method and device for determination of regional anaesthesia by means of contactless photoplethysmography. LV14444, 2012.
- Spigulis J., Elste L. Method and device for imaging of spectral reflectance at several wavelengths bands. LV 14532 B, 2012.
- Spigulis J., Rubins U., Kviesis-Kipge E.. Multimodal imaging device for non-contact skin diagnostics. LV patent application P-13-79, 2013.
Implementation: Inventions have mainly been implemented as adequately functioning pilot samples in laboratories; the side-emitting optical fibers are being industrially produced by the company “Z-Light Ltd.” in the town of Livani, while the device for the detection of arterial occlusions is being clinically implemented at the P. Stradins University Hospital in Riga and the device for determination of regional anesthesia – at Riga Traumatology and Orthopedics Hospital.
Janis SPIGULIS on inventing and its meaning:
The mission of scientists lies in the production of new knowledge; the actual novelty of this knowledge is certified by an international expertise of patents. To wit, development, accurate formulation of inventions and filing of patents (a tough and time-consuming process, without doubt) form an integral part of scientific creative work that, in case of an outstanding success, can secure some extra income for the author. In any case the moral satisfaction comes from the official recognition of priority implying that you have truly come up with something novel that has not been accomplished by anyone before.
More about the inventor (in Latvian) http://izgudrojumi.lza.lv/izg.php?id=76
More about the inventor (in English) www.lanet.lv/~spigulis/