Activators of plant growth and development "Lignosilicon" (Lignosilicijs)
Novel products of multiside activity for ecologically clean plant-growing, horticulture, floriculture, agriculture and forestry are elaborated on the basis of contemporary knowledge on lignin component of plant tissue and silicon role in biogeocenosis. "Lignosilicon" is a group of environmentally sounded products obtained from lignocellulosics: wood processing waste or other plant biomass processing residues. "Lignosilicon" has been widely tested in indoor and outdoor, incl. field, conditions.
The main advantages of the "Lignosilicon" application are follows:
- · - development of vigorous root system with large amount of secondary roots and root hairs;
- · - activation of plant photosynthetic processes, revealed in an increase in chlorophylls and carotenoids content and mass of plant ground part;
- · - increasing harvest;
- · - improvement of plant quality, e.g. increase in sugar content of sugar beet and tomato;
- ncr- incease in ascorbic acid content and carotenoids of sweet pepper; earlier, more abundant and prolonged flowering, increases in the flowers size and leave's area, strengthening floriferous stems etc.;
- · - increase in plant resistance towards diseases and other stresses;
- · - significant development of soil microorganisms - transformers of N-, C- and P-containing compounds, increase in soil enzymatic activity;
- · - increasing mineral nutrients availability for plants;
- · - improvement of soil sanitary conditions.
Favorable effects of “Lignosilicon” on the plant-soil system are due to synergetic action of lignin matrix and organically bonded silicon. In natural conditions lignin in situ serves as a soil humus precusor and is able to fulfill all the functions inherent in humic substances (accumulative, transport, regulative, protective and physiological) due to lignin structure-functional characteristics. It was established that the same is true for lignins containing in the lignicellulosic raw materials used for production of “Lignosilicon”.
Incorporation of silicon-containing nanoclusters in lignin matrix positively changes its properties (sorption activity, hydrophilic properties, antioxidant activity etc.) and provides conditions for supply of soil with available for plant silicon, decreases deficiency in silicon forms soluble in soil solution, thus diminishing risk of plants onthogenesis violations and diseases.
Prof., Dr. habil. Chem., Laboratory of Lignin Chemistry
LV Institute of Wood Chemistry, 27 Dzerbenes St., Riga, LV-1006, Latvia
Phone: + 371 7 555916, Fax: +371 7 550635, E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org